Wednesday, 8 June 2011

A memory

Artist trading cards

I have recently developed a habit of randomly photographing my outgoing mail art. Some cards start to grow on you and suddenly it gets difficult to part with them, so before I let them go I often throw them on my windowsill and snap a couple of mundane little pictures. I will need to remember how they felt, what kind of creatures they were and how I experienced them. Somehow scanned images can't quite contain and translate all this information. I like the way the things I draw gradually change their shape, tone and texture: I'm interested in the blackness of the Indian ink compared to the black of the fineliner pen - things like the reflections or the grain of the paper. I feel the need to capture some of this organic essence. Also, pictures of past pieces are always nice to browse. I find it interesting to document the process of sending or receiving something but I'm way too absent-minded to do that regurlarly.

Artist trading cards

3 comments:

  1. Piti tulla jo toistamiseen ihailemaan tuota laivapäätä, aivan mahtava!

    Lisäks mainos:
    http://viiskyt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't experienced doing such art that i so loved i'm proud to give them away and so loved i want to keep them with me, but for some reason i can relate to it. maybe i've given something in the past i'm so proud of and in the same time, want to keep.

    as of the snapshots, i agree with you. pictures capture moods, whereas scanners are scientific, (not really, but technically) precise, so exact, there's no room for thoughts to move around. what you see is what you see. accurate, but devoided of life.

    ReplyDelete