Saturday, 30 April 2011

Vintage fabrics



The May Day is getting close and I have tried my best to do absolutely nothing! So I thought I'd just share a couple of pictures of these new blank books I have made for Onnia Fabric. The books are covered with vintage and antique Finnish home textiles. Adding to the uniqueness of each book, many of the textiles used are handmade and/or hand embroidered.



The philosophy of Onnia Fabric is to rescue and repurpose beautiful fabrics and create all sorts of neat and practical things such as household items and jewelry out of them. Naturally, some of the old fabrics may have small flaws like holes or rusty stains but all the clean parts of them can be used for new creations. I love this concept so I decided to collaborate: Anni chooses the fabrics from her vast collection, maybe gives me some ideas, and I make them materialise as these universal books that can be used as journals, guestbooks, sketchbooks..



The books pictured in this post are sized approximately A6 and feature 100 pages of off-white paper, and you can find them and a couple of other ones for sale on Onnia Fabric online shop.

2 comments:

  1. I love this concept! I inherited a lot of vintage fabric from my grandmother and I'd love to cover books with them. But some of the best is knit fabric and I'm not sure how to back it. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit of an unorthodox because I didn't back any of the fabrics I used in these books - in my opinion they just didn't need backing. You might want to make some test pieces with the fabrics and glue and see how they work together. I have used some knitted fabric too without the backing!

    ReplyDelete